The Handicapped Development Center, a long-standing not-for-profit is seeking a qualified candidate for the role of Controller. The Controller will perform accounting functions necessary for the proper maintenance of all fiscal records to support the mission of HDC.
Our mission: As a premier service provider, we passionately advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities by creating opportunities for them to succeed, to achieve, to grow, and to be happy.
The position offers a full benefit package:
- Health, dental and vision Insurance
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave and personal days
- Paid holidays or compensation for holidays worked
- 403(b) Retirement option
- Group life insurance and disability
- Employee recognition programs
Responsible to: President/CEO
Objective: To perform accounting functions necessary for the proper maintenance of all fiscal records. Manage accounting department providing information, primarily financial in nature, about all the organizations activities that will assist management, its stakeholders and other users in making educated economic decisions about the organizations future.
* Directs the operation of an overall system of accounting and budging controls, including budgeting and accounting policies, procedures and practices necessary to the effective operation of the system.
* Maintain complete set of financial records.
* Post to general ledger accounts from source documents and from books of original entry.
* Prepare financial and statistical reports for various governmental and private agencies.
* Oversee the activities of the accounting department for accurate and timely dissemination of monthly financial statements and reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financials statements and annual audits and annual budgets.
* Oversee the activities of the accounts receivable department to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings, cash receipts application, etc; funding management, which includes weekly reports, quarter and year-end payroll closing including federal and state reports.
* Assure income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
* Responsible for maintaining adequate analysis information in order that responsible financial decisions can be made.
* Evaluates and recommends changes, when necessary, all forms of insurance coverage, including employees group, auto insurance, workers compensation and various forms of liability insurance and assures adequate coverage for the corporation.
* Supervise Accounting staff and IT Supervisor and evaluate individual employee performance and effectiveness.
* Inform the President/CEO of the agency’s financial status on a regular basis.
* Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
* Follows HIPAA and Confidentiality policies.
Preforms other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of accounting theory and practice
Ability to analyze financial information and data
Ability to communicate, in English, both in writing and orally
Ability to perform duties under self-supervision quickly and effectively
Ability to accurately prepare reports and statements
Ability to adapt to changes within the organization
Comprehensive knowledge and skill with computers and familiarity with IBM compatible hardware and software
Ability to use computer to navigate and enter information into web-based software and perform basic functions related to computer use (i.e. keyboarding, email, data entry)
Ability to understand and follow the policies and procedures of HDC
Training and Experience:
Graduation with a four-year degree in accounting or related area from an accredited college or university
Ten years of hands-on accounting managerial experience
Supervisory experience required
* Denotes essential functions of the position.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so employed.