|Title:||Weekend Direct Support Professional|
Handicapped Development Center is looking for weekend associates for Direct Support Professional roles.
· Hours will consist of Saturday and Sunday. May include Friday in some cases.
· Part-time weekend shifts will typically be between 8am-8pm. Overnights available if desired.
· Full-time weekend shifts will include round-the-clock shifts on Saturday and Sunday and may include Friday’s.
Positions will be assisting individuals with disabilities in group homes or apartment settings with activities in daily living, including personal care and accompanying out to community events. Individuals need to be able to foster an encouraging environment and work independently and exercise good judgment. HS Diploma or GED required. Must have valid driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Check out our Job Preview Video to gain a real perspective of what joining our mission looks like:
Title: Group Home Support Staff
Responsible to: Program Supervisor
Objective: To provide for the instruction, supervision, and guidance of individuals in Group Home settings. To meet other specific individual needs of participants and to supplement programming by other staff.
- Provides supportive encouragement to individuals on a personal basis both in a one-to-one or small group situation and given instruction, advice and assistance on personal problems.
- Assists individuals to plan, prepare, and serve meals within their home with maximum participant involvement.
- Responsible for ensuring that the house is clean and orderly and for completing work on the grounds as needed.
- Serves as a situational counselor in assignments dealing with individuals who are intellectually disabled. As assigned provides supportive services to participants in matters regarding to orientation to the community.
- Helps individuals in cultivating appropriate social, behavioral, personal care and interpersonal skills and attitudes useful in everyday community living and adjustments.
- Assists individual in planning and participating in recreational activities and provides instruction and assistance on group trips and as social functions. Accompanies individuals on shopping trips or to obtain medical or dental care, as needed.
- Notifies supervisor immediately when initial, specific training is needed prior to working an assignment.
- Responsible for communicating in a professional manner to the participants and their families
- Implements individual plans, including necessary documentation.
with Program Supervisors and other staff regarding special problems.
- Responsible for safe transportation with personal vehicles and/or agency vehicles.
- Responsible for timely and accurate completion of daily documentation, GER’s, and other required reports and documentation.
- Responsible for assisting participants in budgeting and other types of money management and completing all required documentation in regards to monetary transactions.
- Provides for security and safety within area of responsibility.
- Supports individuals in taking, and ordering medications including monitoring and completing documentation as required by individuals and specific programs.
- Reports contact with outside agencies/individuals immediately to supervisor.
- Attends meetings and trainings as assigned.
- Interacts professionally with participants, their families and outside agencies.
- Responsible for working weekends and holidays.
- Follows HIPAA and confidentiality policies.
Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Abilities:
Ability to secure the confidence, respect, and cooperation of participants and their families and exercise tact, initiative, and good judgment in dealing with them
Ability to anticipate problems and to cope quickly and decisively with unexpected situations and behavior
Must have ability to hear participant day or night and/or from separate rooms
Ability to lift from floor/carry/transfer individuals and adaptive equipment in excess of 50 pounds
Possesses a current and valid driver’s license and maintains a good driving record. Must not be denied coverage by HDC’s insurance carrier
Good perception, powers of observation, and mental alertness
Ability to report accurately on conditions
Ability to keep timely and accurate documentation of services and expenditures
Ability to carry/escort individuals in excess of 50 pounds and utilize PBS techniques during behavior problems
Ability to successfully complete medication manager class
Ability to meet employment requirements (i.e. health screening, TB test, Driving Record)
Ability to use computer to navigate and enter information into web-based software and perform basic
functions related to computer use. (i.e. keyboarding, email, data entry)
Ability to understand and follow the policies and procedures of HDC
Training and Experience:
Graduation from high school or GED
- Denotes essential functions of the position.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so employed.